Well over a year ago, WMCAT engaged more than 50 community partners and stakeholders in planning a two-day immersive conference for June 4-5, 2020, WMCAT 20/20: Exploring Conflicting Visions for the Future. The pandemic made it impossible to host this event as originally planned. And, since postponing, many of you have waited patiently as we’ve explored how to move forward.
The conversations and engagements at the heart of WMCAT 20/20 feel more relevant now than ever. The COVID-19 crisis has exposed the cracks in community prosperity, the systemic barriers to equitable health and economic outcomes, and the need for constructive, respectful and informed conversations. We cannot delay this important event, and we cannot assume that we will be able to gather a large group in person in the coming months. We are excited to share our new structure and vision for WMCAT 20/20 and invite you to join us.
We are launching an eight-month WMCAT 20/20 series, beginning in October, and including access to the same breadth of perspective and expertise around community prosperity that we had originally planned. In fact, many of the same keynote speakers will be featured. Participants can expect to engage up to six hours each month. Here’s how it will work:
- Registered attendees will receive preparatory resources and a guiding framework for engagement via email at the end of October, with a monthly rhythm beginning in November and continuing through May:
- Monthly virtual community meetings on the second Thursday from 12-1:30 pm with a featured keynote speaker, meaningful discussion, and announcements.
- Pop-up breakout engagements each month – like panel discussions, performances, and guided conversations.
- Monthly emailed resources and prompts for individual reflection and online community discussion at your own pace.
- Participants will also receive a curated engagement kit during the series, with special treats and learning materials.
Registration will open for new participants on September 28. Tickets purchased for the original two-day event in June will be honored for the new, eight-month series.
We’re excited to feature Manuel Pastor at our first community meeting on November 12 from 12-1:30 pm! We look forward to sharing more details in the coming weeks.
Learn more at wmcat2020.org and purchase your ticket beginning on Monday, September 28!
We look forward to learning and growing in community with you.
President + CEO
West Michigan Center for Arts + Technology